Welcome to F# Weekly,
A roundup of F# content from this past week:
- Visual Studio “14” CTP was released.
- Do not forget to vote on F# Language features and participate in discussions.
- Working draft of F# 3.1 language specification was published.
- F# Events were added to Community for F# site.
- Join the discussion inside FSharp.Data.SqlClient project: “Target scenarios for generated types“.
- RyuJIT CTP4 supports Win7. Take a minute to install it (and .NET 4.5.2) so you can test your F# apps with it.
- Do not be shy to try new VS extension “FsLab Journal” and share your feedback.
- CloudSharper 0.9.11 is out with enhanced NuGet support! (+updates 0.9.11.1 & 0.9.11.2)
- FSharp.TypeProviders.StarterPack became a part of fsprojects.
- F# Compiler Service 0.0.49 is released – minor update with a few fixes.
- New version of Visual F# PowerTools is released with Union type pattern generation.
- Key F# contributor Joe Pamer moved to Apple to work on Swift, after a stint on Typescript!
- Logary (a high performance, multi-target logging, metric and health-check library for mono and .Net) was presented.
- recall (a simple EDSL in F# for defining persistent, incremental, parallel computations such as build systems) was presented.
- Apple launched new programming language Swift.
- “Domain Specific Languages: The Functional Way” by Tomas Petricek. (+code, +slides)
- “F# and Machine Learning: a winning combination” by Mathias Brandewinder.
- “Porting Quake III to F#: A Journey to Functional Programming” by Will Smith.
- “1) Write cross-platform apps with F# & Xamarin. 2) ??? 3) Profit!” by Rachel Reese.
- “Domain modelling with the F# type system” by Scott Wlaschin.
- “Swift vs. Language X” by by Scott Wlaschin.
- “The Search for the Perfect Program” by Natallie Baikevich.
- Try F# – A New Wave of Education and Research by Microsoft Research.
- Faisal Waris posted “F# DSL for the Layout of IOS Controls“.
- Richard Dalton blogged “Learning to Think Functionally: Recursion“.
- Jamie Dixon wrote “Using Subsets for Association Rule Learning“.
- Functional Works published “S# – Real Time iOS FP coding“.
- Functional Software .NET posted “Apple Swift ein F# Klon?“.
- Kevin Ashton posted “Full Stack F# – The Long Version (Part 1)“.
- Anton Tayanovskyy published “WebSharper: What’s New (June 2014)“.
- Peter Strøiman blogged “Introducing FSpec“.
- Mike Harris wrote “Leap Year in the Key of C#, F#, Haskell, and Scala“.
- Al Scott wrote about “Running F# Using Mono and Unix“.
- Kevin Ashton blogged “Using MongoDB from F#“.
- EFY Times published “10 Programming Languages That Will Change The IT World“.
- Andy Calderbank posted:
P.S. Sorry but there won’t be Weekly #24,2014 on the next week. I’m going to take a small vacation. Wait for a double portion of the news in Weekly #24-25, 2014 in two weeks. Thanks.
That’s all for now. Have a great week.
Previous F# Weekly edition – #22